Comments

If you wish to add a comment to any of my articles please do so as I am always pleased to have a contribution from any reader as this increases the interest for other visitors.

Thursday 19 April 2012

It's alright to talk to myself – it helps me!

My wife often asks me: “Are you talking to yourself again”, when I'm tackling a new or complicated task and discussing my next move with myself, as if concerned that I'm showing early signs of madness. It's alright when she talks to herself because it's natural, but when I do it the inference is that I'm going crazy!

Well now it's OK for me as well because a recent study by psychologists Gary Lupyan (University of Wisconsin-Madison) and Daniel Swingley (University of Pennsylvania), published in the Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology, suggests that chatting with your own psyche about difficult tasks helps solve them.

Previous research has shown that a large majority of people talk to themselves on a regular basis and in children this can help them develop their skills. The new research suggest that adults can benefit from a quick chat to oneself.

Of course there is the advantage as Franklin P. Jones suggested "One advantage of talking to yourself is that you know at least somebody's listening."

Read more in ScienceDaily :It doesn’t mean you’re crazy –- talking to yourself has cognitive benefits, study finds

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be courteous and add your name rather than 'Anonymous' to your comment, as it may not be published. In the 'Comment as' box above use the drop-down menu and select 'Name/URL'. In the 'Edit profile' pop-up enter your name and press continue. There will be a period of delay before your comment appears on the article until I receive the automatic notification that you have made one and can authorised its publication.

Any comment that includes vulgar language, racist remarks or anything of that nature will either be edited or not published at my discretion.